This is the questionnaire I’ve sent to 15 circuit benders. Please feel free to copy it and send it or complete it yourself and of course, return it to my e-mail m dot polymeropoulou at gmail dot com.
Circuit-Bending Questionnaire: 1st of May 2009
Please complete the following questionnaire and send it back to me as soon as possible. I’m available for any further comments, ideas, thoughts you’d like to share.
Country of residence:
Relation to circuit-bending (composer, maker, organiser, etc):
- Why circuit-bending?
- What is your musical background (music education, and/or preferences in music)?
- How did you affiliate with circuit-bending?
About the procedure:
- Do you create bent instruments? If so, how many per year?
- Do you sell your instruments?
- Have you ever bought a ready-made bent instrument? Yes, no, why?
- Which bent instruments do you use?
- What is your procedure modifying a toy?
- Do you combine bent instruments and other instruments/methods to make music?
About your music:
- How would you label your music (e.g. Pop, toy music, experimental, noise, it’s not music it’s just sounds, I don’t like labels etc)?
- What are your inspirations or influences when composing music?
- Do you feel that your music pieces or bent instruments are limited? If so why?
About the community:
- How do you feel about the circuit-bending “industry” (festivals, record labels, instrument makers, etc)?
- How do you see the circuit-bending community today?
- Which is in your opinion the audience of circuit-bending? Who is this music made for?
- Any ideas about the future of circuit-bending?
- Any issues/problems about circuit-bending you’d like to share?
- Any comments/thoughts you’d like to share?